Read time: an apple
This is a weekly newsletter brought to you by a former fashion editor, aka me, Lina. I will cover digital wearables and their role in gaming and fashion.
The Wearables Daily feature and acknowledge all industry talents and tell their stories.
Welcome to this month's issue of The Wearables Daily, your one-stop source for everything happening in the dynamic world of digital fashion.
In this edition, we're stepping away from the bustling virtual catwalks and spotlighting the creatives behind the scenes. We're delving into the exciting realm of digital fashion design, a space where creativity meets innovation, and the only limit is your imagination.
Digital fashion is revolutionizing our understanding of style and sustainability, making it a compelling domain to explore. Whether you're an aspiring designer, a tech enthusiast, or just curious about the new wave of fashion, this issue will give you the insights to navigate this brave new world.
We'll start with the basics, guiding you through the principles of digital fashion design and the skills required to flourish. We'll introduce you to the leading software and tools shaping the industry and showcase inspiring success stories of designers who've made their mark in the digital realm.
Moreover, we will explore the intersection of digital fashion with other sectors, such as gaming, virtual reality, and blockchain technology, helping you understand this field's vast opportunities.
Get ready to embark on a journey into the fabric of the future, where fashion transcends physical boundaries and transforms into a vibrant, digital expression of style. Your digital fashion adventure starts here!
Understanding Digital Fashion
Digital fashion transcends the physical barriers of traditional fashion, where the only limit is your imagination. It refers to clothing, accessories, and entire outfits designed solely in a digital environment. Unlike traditional fashion, digital fashion isn't bound by physical limitations such as gravity, material availability, or even the laws of physics.
These digital designs are typically showcased on virtual or digital avatars. They can be seen in various mediums, from social media and online platforms to video games and virtual reality. The digital runway is a boundless space where designers can express their creativity without constraints, creating styles that might be impossible or impractical in the physical world.
Why Digital Fashion?
The appeal of digital fashion isn't just its creative liberty.
Digital fashion has the potential to democratize the fashion industry. In the physical world, high-end fashion is often inaccessible to many due to its exorbitant costs. In contrast, being unhindered by material costs, digital fashion can provide access to designer wear to a broader audience at a fraction of the cost.
Additionally, digital fashion opens up exciting new avenues for self-expression. With the rise of virtual worlds and digital identities, digital fashion allows individuals to express their style in these spaces. It's not just about creating garments; it's about creating a digital culture and a new form of interaction in the digital world.
In essence, digital fashion is an exciting frontier where creativity, technology, and sustainability. It's an evolving field that promises to reshape our understanding of fashion and its role in society.
Would you wear AR lenses in your Zoom calls?
⬇️Reply in thread with 👍 or 👎
— Julien | Julienverse.eth (@julienverse)
May 10, 2023
Mastering the Tools of the Trade
Creating digital fashion requires a skillset that combines both design and technology. Understanding and effectively using the right software is paramount for digital fashion designers. Here are some of the industry-favored tools:
1. CLO3D: This powerful 3D design software is specifically built for creating digital apparel. Its highly realistic rendering capabilities allow designers to create intricate and authentic-looking garments. Users can design, drape, and pattern garments, and the software simulates the drape and fit of the garments based on material properties.
2. Adobe Substance 3D Designer: This versatile tool is used for creating texture maps for 3D models, making it invaluable for digital fashion design. With it, you can create realistic fabric textures, intricate patterns, and even unique materials for your digital garments.
3. Blender: Blender is a free, open-source 3D creation suite. It supports the entirety of the 3D pipeline—modeling, rigging, animation, simulation, rendering, compositing, motion tracking, and even video editing and game creation. While it isn't specifically built for fashion design, its versatility makes it a popular tool among digital fashion designers.
4. Marvelous Designer: This software is popular for creating 3D virtual clothing. Like CLO3D, it allows designers to create, drape, and pattern garments. Its powerful simulation capabilities make it a favorite among game developers and fashion designers.
5. ZBrush: Used mainly for creating high-resolution models for movies, games, and animations, ZBrush is also a popular tool in digital fashion. It's particularly useful when creating intricate details on garments.
Learning these tools is a crucial step in your digital fashion journey. While each tool has unique quirks and capabilities, they all serve the common purpose of bringing your digital designs to life. Online tutorials, courses, and community forums are great resources to help you master these tools.
Remember that proficiency in these tools is just the start. The magic happens when you blend your creativity with technology to create garments as imaginative as they are stunning.
Enter our Discord for the next Co-Creation challenge and take your shot to claim a spot as a 3D digital designer in DRESSX NFT Marketplace 😎
Democratizing the space!
— DRESSX (@dressxcom)
Apr 30, 2023
Expand Your Horizons
Digital fashion doesn't exist in isolation; it intermingles with various industries, providing exciting possibilities. Understanding these intersections can give you a broader perspective and open new avenues for your digital fashion career.
1. Gaming: The gaming industry is an expansive platform for digital fashion. As the line between reality and the virtual world becomes increasingly blurred, game characters are no longer just avatars but extensions of the player's identity. Fashion plays a crucial role in this identity formation. Many games already incorporate various outfits and accessories for characters, and this trend is only set to grow. Brands are recognizing this opportunity and creating digital clothing lines specifically for these virtual avatars, turning games into interactive fashion shows.
2. Virtual Reality (VR) and Augmented Reality (AR): VR and AR technologies are reshaping the fashion industry, from design to retail. In design, these technologies can be used to create and visualize digital clothing in 3D space. In retail, AR can be used for virtual try-ons, allowing customers to see how a digital garment would look on them without trying on physical clothes. VR can also be used to create immersive virtual fashion shows, providing a novel way for brands to showcase their digital collections.
3. Blockchain and Cryptocurrencies: The rise of blockchain technology and cryptocurrencies has brought about new ways to buy, sell, and own digital fashion. Non-Fungible Tokens (NFTs), a type of cryptocurrency, can be used to certify the ownership of unique digital fashion pieces, giving them real-world value. This opens up a whole new marketplace for digital fashion, with designers and consumers trading digital garments as unique pieces of art.
4. Social Media: Social media platforms are becoming increasingly integrated with digital fashion. Platforms like Instagram and Snapchat already offer AR filters that allow users to try on digital accessories and makeup. As these technologies advance, it's likely we'll see more integration of digital fashion, with users being able to try on and purchase digital garments directly from social media platforms.
Understanding these cross-sector interactions can help you identify new opportunities and stay ahead in the digital fashion landscape. It's an exciting time to be part of this rapidly evolving field, where the lines between fashion, technology, and digital culture are continuously being redefined.
Ai-gen suit by @dressxcom and Asami 🦋 backdrop still real
— daria (@dariadressx)
Apr 24, 2023
Find Your Community
As an emerging field, digital fashion can seem overwhelming. But you're not alone on this journey. There are numerous communities and platforms where you can connect with like-minded individuals, learn from experts, share your work, and gain inspiration.
1. Online Forums and Groups: Websites like Reddit have numerous forums where users discuss digital fashion. Subreddits like r/digitalfashion are a treasure trove of information, with users sharing their work, discussing the latest trends, and providing tips for beginners. There are also several groups on Facebook and LinkedIn where you can connect with other digital fashion enthusiasts.
2. Digital Fashion Platforms: Digital fashion platforms are not only a place to showcase your work but also a community to engage with other designers. Platforms like The Fabricant, DressX, and Digitalax are part of the digital fashion ecosystem. They often host events, webinars, and discussions, fostering a strong community spirit.
3. Virtual Fashion Shows and Events: Virtual fashion shows and events are becoming increasingly popular. These events, such as Metaverse Fashion Week, are an excellent opportunity to network with industry professionals, showcase your designs, and get inspired by the work of others.
4. Online Courses and Webinars: Many online learning platforms offer courses on digital fashion. These courses often come with a community aspect, allowing you to interact with fellow learners and instructors. Websites like Coursera, Udemy, and Skillshare are great places to start.
5. Social Media: Social media platforms like Instagram and Twitter are buzzing with digital fashion content. Follow relevant hashtags, join discussions, and connect with influencers in the space. It's a great way to stay updated with the latest trends and get feedback on your work.
Becoming part of a community can be incredibly beneficial. It provides a sense of belonging, opens up opportunities for collaboration, and helps you stay motivated and inspired. As you navigate your digital fashion journey, remember that these communities are here to support and uplift you.
🔁Can't stop, won't stop!
Reliving the magic of #MVFW23 on repeat! 🔥 👠
— Decentraland (@decentraland)
Apr 18, 2023
Interesting and worth checking
#2 digital wearable of the week
#3 competition of the year
OMG. Droffo Season 3 is now LIVE! But wait... we increased the prize pool to 550 MANA! 😱
🪐2 x 100 MANA for the buyer raffle 👀
🪐200, 150 & 50 MANA for top 3 sellers! 🏆
👉httpdroffo.com/competitionr past winners: @Nik@NikkiFuego92a@Clammyeth @Emp@EmpressRaeonL@DCLMETATIGERp
— Droffo (@Droffowear)
Mar 14, 2023
Disclaimer: I have to say this - this is not financial advice! 🙈